Situated directly on a ski slope in Switzerland, the innovative five-star hotel designed by the Parisian Agency AW2 boasts majestic architecture, stunning interiors, and world-class amenities that set it apart from its competitors. Nestled within its excavated stone foundation lies a one-of-a-kind underground pool surrounded by artificial stalactites adorning the ceiling.
A Remarkable Collaboration between International and Local Architects
Architects AW2, known for their exceptional design work such as the Six Senses Hotel in Con Dao, teamed up with local Swiss architect Jean-Pierre Emery to create this luxurious mountain getaway. The 28,000-square-meter complex exudes elegance from every corner, combining modern design elements with traditional alpine charm.
Two Valaisan Chalets atop a Breathtaking Stone Base
The visual centerpiece of the hotel is undoubtedly its massive semi-buried stone base, expertly carved and integrated into the mountain landscape. This unique feature imparts a sense of permanence and groundedness that contrasts beautifully with the surrounding snow-covered slopes. Two traditional Valaisan chalets sit atop the stone foundation and blend seamlessly with the structure beneath them.
An Indoor Glacial Oasis: A Pool Designed Like No Other
The pièce de résistance of this magnificent hotel is its 30-meter indoor pool, situated within the heart of the stone base. Evoking the experience of swimming inside a glacial cave, architects Stéphanie Ledoux and Reda Amalou went above and beyond to make this space truly unforgettable.
14,000 Stalactites Create an Immersive Atmosphere
A dramatic ceiling featuring 14,000 hand-sculpted faux stalactites greets guests as they enter the pool area. This artistic marvel plays with light and reflections, casting captivating shadows across the surface of the water below. The juxtaposition of these cave-like elements with comfortable modern furnishings effectively transports visitors to another world.
Let Nature In: Birch Trees and Natural Light
To ensure that this underground oasis remains connected with its natural surroundings, the architects incorporated birch trees and ample sources of natural light throughout the space. Sunrays filter through the foliage creating dappled patterns on the floor, while the pool’s reflecting pool mirrors wooden slats across its surface, enhancing the organic ambiance of the room.
Premium Shopping Opportunities Nearby
All luxury hotels understand that their high-end clientele often enjoy access to premium shopping experiences during their stay. It is worth noting that some of the most expensive commercial streets in the world are not too far away from this extravagant Swiss hotel, offering guests the opportunity to indulge in retail therapy unlike any other.
- New York’s Fifth Avenue – At €20,834/m² per year, it tops Cushman & Wakefield’s commercial rent rankings, providing an unparalleled luxury shopping destination.
- Milan’s Via Montenapoleone – This chic Italian street features exclusive shops showcasing the work of renowned designers such as Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, and more.
- Tsim Sha Tsui in Hong Kong – The popular shopping district boasts a combination of international retailers, luxury boutiques, and exceptional dining options.
- New Bond Street in London – This elegant destination is lined with high-end fashion houses, art galleries, and antique shops for a unique shopping experience.
- Avenue des Champs-Élysées in Paris – From prestigious designer boutiques to the flagship stores of popular retailers, this iconic avenue has something for everyone.
With rare locations and competitive pressure affecting rents, the need for luxurious accommodations parallels the increased demand for luxury amenities. As hotels like this awe-inspiring Swiss creation continue pushing the boundaries of design and guest experiences, it will be interesting to witness how future projects adapt and evolve to cater to the evermore discerning tastes of their elite clientele.